This is a really simple pasta sauce that Osh loves – simple, basic ingredients but lots of goodness in there that he doesn’t even notice! Shhhhh! Don’t tell him!
- 2 x cans chopped plum tomatoes.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed.
- 1/2 red onion, chopped.
- Handful of sweetcorn (already steamed)
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of white seedless grapes
- 2 x carrots (grated/sliced)
- 2 tbsp. Violife creamy
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Black pepper to taste.
- Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat and then gently fry onion until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic and carrots and allow to soften for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from pan, place into blender with tomatoes, sweetcorn, spinach & grapes and blitz until smooth. ( I aim for no trace of green bits as Osh can detect them at 100 paces!)
- Return mixture to pan, add black pepper and allow to simmer on medium heat.
- Stir in Violife Creamy until it melts, for a creamier sauce.
- Serve with cooked free-from pasta, or if preparing in advance for school lunches, allow to cool and portion into separate servings. I allow 1 ladle-full of sauce per lunch serving, which means the mixture can stretch to approx. 8 portions, which I then freeze.
You could also add some chopped bacon or red pepper to produce a variation on this sauce.